What does the world cost? Oh well, then we'll just take a small coke.


Thursday, January 15, 2009

Environmental Wacko? I Think Not.

Last June, I was hired by an environmental firm to do administrative work. The pay was good and the people were nice, so I decided to take the job. Plus, I really, really, really needed work.

Now, I don't think I've ever been what anyone would label an "environmental wacko" or even environmentally conscious. Sure, I never littered and tried to drive as little as possible - mostly due to monetary concerns - but it didn't bother my conscience too much if I threw away a bottle instead of recycling it or used more paper than absolutely necessary.

About a month into my job, however, my family started calling me a treehugger. "Naw," I thought, "they're just giving me a hard time. There's no way I'm remotely close to being a treehugger!"Well, I've been in full denial for 5 months now, but a recent encounter finally opened my eyes to the truth.

My mom and I were at C---co, buying a new computer and my mom asked the guy checking us out if we could give them our old computer to dispose of.

"No," he said, "you can just throw it away."

"What?!" I asked, staring in disbelief. "That's illegal! Those computers contain hazardous waste! The acid can leak out and cause a lot of damage to the environment. Don't you know that it's a federal offense to dispose of old computers that way? You have to take it to the county Hazardous Waste Disposal Facility, or you can get in big trouble. Does C---co know you're telling this to customers? You guys could get in big trouble!!!"

It was at that point, after seeing the blank looks on the faces of the checkout man and my mom, that I realized what my family members were telling me was indeed true. My worst nightmare had become reality. I was a full-fledged environmental wacko.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daaaaaang..... I'm sorry man. Is there anything we can do?

Anonymous said...

I would like to address the above post...or below. Yes - stay in bed, don't eat, don't produce waste of any sort. Actually eating garlic or Mexican food of any kind whatsoever causes air pollution. The best way to reduce your carbon footprint would be to not have even been born. That would be true of everyone but me.

Anonymous said...

My solution: just go look at this pic http://blackliberal.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/al-gore.jpg.

Should cure you of any desire to be an environmentalist.

Anonymous said...

^ handsome stud