What does the world cost? Oh well, then we'll just take a small coke.


Friday, August 03, 2007

Confession #1: I like Chick Flicks

"Confessions" are a new series from FCN in which readers submit or the FCN staff write secret or private confessions for the amusement of others. Like other confession driven writing enterprises, the author of the confession will remain anonymous. Unlike other confession driven writing enterprises, the truth of the confession will not be guaranteed or even supposed.

If you have a confession for the faithful FCN few, send it in to us at FunnyClassNotes -at- gmail -dot- com

Confession #1: I like Chick Flicks

I'm a guy. I'm a shade under six feet tall and athletic. I have a pretty deep voice and I know how to talk tough. I don't flinch very often and I can't stand sissies. That's why it's ironic that I like chick flicks.

Guys are supposed to appreciate the "art" of dramatic gun, grimace and go home flicks, a genre generally labeled as "action movies." We men are supposed to be disgusted at the simple plots, thin acting and male pansies who adorn the screen of so-called "date movies." We are supposed to roll our eyes when our female friends talk about the latest Lindsay Lohan, Charlize Theron or Mandy Moore production; we aren't supposed to appreciate the clichéd acting of Kate Winslet or get excited at the thought of a movie with Cameron Diaz.

I break the mold. I thought John Tucker Must Die was an absolute delight of a film. I thoroughly enjoyed The Holiday and thought Mean Girls was one of Lohan's better productions although Just My Luck gave it a run for its money; Bridget Jone's Diary left me panting and Something's Gotta Give was so sweet; The English Patient was slow, but worth it and Titantic, oh, Titanic!

The Horse Whisperer was one of Robert Redford's better performances; You've Got Mail was the highlight of Tom Hank's career and was a perfect showcase for Meg Ryan; The Beach House had me spinning until the end; and one line brings back all the happy memories of Truly, Madly, Deeply: "I really, truly, madly, passionately, remarkably, deliciously... juicily love you...." Oh yeah!.

Don't get me wrong; Rogers and Hammerstein is a bit much and kiddie movies don't do the trick. Some musicals are excellent, others are too slow to justify the viewing and I outgrew Anne Hatheway years ago.

As a rule of thumb, if it's on Lifetime or O!, I will probably appreciate it. Like any genre, it needs to be done well; I didn't confess to liking cheap movies, just chick flicks.

(As an aside, I just realized it took me about three minutes to write the above four paragraphs. That's how conversant I am in chick flicks. Ask me any question about the genre; I can probably answer it).

It's not that I don't like action movies - the Die Hard series was excellent and Jason Bourne is still my man crush - it's just that I also appreciate the tender films. That's my confession.


EDIT: Thanks to an email from a concerned reader for the reminder, I should note that none of the above referenced movies come with the FCN endorsement. In order to garner the requisite knowledge about the films, we are sure our author viewed the Clean Films version or closed his eyes during the inappropriate sequences.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Jason Bourne is still my man crush." Am I the only one who is disturbed by that phrase?

Anonymous said...

No you are not.

Anonymous said...

I do NOT recomend Titanic! A very desturbingly to mushy love story.
YUCKO!!

Anonymous said...

I should note that my reference to Troy was also through Clean Films.

Anonymous said...

I am horrified.

Anonymous said...

This is very disturbing. I might even have to question your manliness. Referring to Jason Bourne as your "man crush" tells me you are to far gone. You need help my friend.

Anonymous said...

I think it's pretty funny because it's baloney. I believed the "guarantee*" and did not "suppose" it was true. It is a confiction not a confession.

*"the truth of the confession cannot be guaranteed or even supposed."

Anonymous said...

Oh ya...Jason Bourne...good movies there. ;)

A City in Germany said...

OMG!!! I didn't have time to look at CN (we miss the F) while I was at SCU, and I'm about to explode (again) because of it.

Orlando Bloom is sooooooooooooo cute......

Anyways, if you need any flick suggestions for this week, I have several, if you want them....

Anonymous said...

"Miss Potter" is a absolute weeper. You must see it. I know you will LOVE it!!!!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I don't think someone would email that to you!