What does the world cost? Oh well, then we'll just take a small coke.


Tuesday, August 07, 2007

How to Count to 10 like a Consumerist

How do our young learn to count? Do they learn in kindergarten in front of a caring teacher and a colorful piece of cardboard? Do they grasp the fundamentals of our numeral system by watching road signs as their parents drive them around? Or is it by flipping channels on a TV set?

I learned to count to ten by consuming print, radio and television advertisements. That’s right; a difficult number would appear in front of me and I would try to grasp its meaning. If I was really stumped, I would ask the closest adult: “Daddy? What does the ‘two’ in ‘Halo 2’ stand for?” I must have been such a cute child. Here is how my parents first heard me count to ten:

Coca-Cola Zero Soda

Pepsi One Soda

ESPN 2

Halo 3

Fourthmeal at Taco Bell

Take Five (XM)

Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy

7Up Soda

Super 8 Hotel

Cloud 9 Productions

Hang Ten Clothing Company

No comments: