What does the world cost? Oh well, then we'll just take a small coke.


Thursday, December 07, 2006

An Apology

A torrent of readers have contacted us since we posted our press release about the Bureau of Savage Affairs, to demand an apology. Most have reached us through email to complain about the “racist” and “hegemonic” outlook this site is propagating against savage indians. The emails got to be so many that we weren't able to conduct normal correspondence. One FCN member even lost an email from his girlfriend in the mess and has since taken extraordinary measures to rectify his relationship, including forcing me to write this apology.

I lost my temper while writing the news story. I was in class trying to write and I got heckled and I took it badly and went into a rage and wrote some pretty nasty things about Native Americans; a lot of trash talk.

You know, I’m really busted up over this and I’m very, very sorry to those people in the reading audience, the blacks, the Jews, the Hispanics, the Indians, the Chinese, the whites – everyone that took the brunt of that anger and hate and rage and how it came through, and I’m concerned about more hate and more rage and more anger coming through, not just towards me but towards a red/white conflict. There’s a great deal of disturbance in this country and how savages feel about what happened in Little Big Horn and in the late 1800s, and, you know, many of the writers and reporters have tried to handle this and for this to happen, for me to flip out and write this crap, you know, I’m deeply, deeply sorry.

And I’ll get to the force field of this hostility, why it’s there, why the rage is in any of us, why the trash takes place, whether or not it’s between me and the folks at the BSA or between this country and the Indian nation, the rage...

You know, I’m a writer. I push the envelope, I work in a very uncontrolled manner. I do a lot of free association, it’s spontaneous, I write in my bathrobe. I don’t know, in view of the situation and the hubbub in the press conference, I don’t know, the rage did go all over the place.

It went to reach everybody who read the post. But you can’t – you know it’s, I don’t – I know people could, Indians could feel – I’m not a racist, that’s what so insane about this, and yet it’s said, it comes through, it fires out of me, even now in the passion that’s here as I confront myself.

Oh yeah, and I'm sorry for saying “crap”

No comments: